HeatingForce is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Viessmann Vitodens 050 Boiler Review
Viessmann’s are the biggest selling boiler manufacturers in mainland Europe. They bring high-quality German engineering and reliability to everything they do. The Vitodens 050 is one of their most popular boilers and it has made big waves since arriving on UK shores.
But what exactly makes it stand out from the crowd?
The Vitodens 050-W boiler is one of Viessmann’s biggest-selling combi boilers. It is a unit which definitely falls into the budget range of boilers yet still brings high-quality German engineering, compact dimensions, low weight and quiet operation.
Today we are going to tell you how the Vitodens 050-W lives up to its reputation so that you can decide if it is the right boiler for you.
Table of Contents
What is the Vitodens 050?
The Vitodens 050 is Viessmann’s flagship budget range boiler. It comes with all the main advantages of any other Viessmann boiler, such as a stainless steel heat exchanger and a high efficiency rating but at a low, low price.
A Vitodens 050 boiler comes with DHW output ratings from 5.9 to 35 kW. Viessmann’s market it is as an ideal boiler for new build homes or modern conversions. The truth is that it will do a good job in most properties as its quiet, compact, and energy-efficient design is exactly what most homeowners and landlords are looking for.
- Low price
- Compact size
- Stainless steel heat exchanger
- Efficiency rating of up to 97%
- Low CO2 emissions
- Integral instantaneous water heater
- Digital LCD Interface
- Extended warranties available
The cost of a Viessmann’s Vitodens 050 boiler will vary depending on where you buy it from. Different companies and tradespeople will source their boilers from different places and at different prices, which is why the same boiler can be sold for hundreds of pounds more by one installation company than another.
We would always recommend that you get a minimum of three different quotes before choosing the right boiler for you, and ideally more. It is a good idea to approach at least one nationwide installer, one local tradesperson, and one online installation company.
The best price we have found for a Viessmann Vitodens 050 boiler was on HEATABLE.
HEATABLE is an online installation company that operates across the UK and is, therefore, able to source boilers directly from the manufacturer at super-low prices. Because it is an online operation, it has low overheads and is able to pass on more of these savings to the customer.
Currently, HEATABLE is able to offer a Viessmann Vitodens 050 boiler supplied and fitted from just £1,670. As you will see if you keep reading, they also some great additional offers available too.
The length of the warranty offered on a boiler is an indicator of the quality of its build and how long the manufacturer expects it to last without needing major repair work being done. If your boiler only has a one-year warranty, it is unlikely to keep going for a decade or more.
The Viessmann Vitodens 050 boiler is sold with a 3-year warranty as standard, but Viessmann’s also offers an extended warranty offer that lets you stretch this to seven years.
However, if you buy through HEATABLE, you will be entitled to their exclusive ten-year warranty. That means if anything goes wrong with your Vitodens 050 boiler at any point in the next ten years, Viessmann’s will either repair it for free or replace your boiler.
Ten years is an unprecedented length of warranty for a boiler and brings peace of mind for you. It is also an indicator of how highly Viessmann’s thinks of the Vitodens 050 too.
The Viessmann Vitodens 050 boilers all come with the top A-rating for energy efficiency.
Depending on the size of the boiler you opt for, they can offer energy efficiency ratings of up to 97%. This is extremely high for a gas-powered combi boiler and highlights the high-quality German engineering that has gone into this unit.
How does the Vitodens 050 compare to the competition?
The closest equivalent boiler for comparison is the Worcester Bosch Greenstar 25i boiler. The Greenstar matches Vitodens on efficiency ratings, compatibility with smart thermostats, and LPG compatibility. But the Vitodens comes out on top in many other areas.
The Vitodens 050 has a stainless steel heat exchanger, while the Greenstar only has a less-efficient aluminium one. It also comes with a shock arrester included as standard, which the Greenstar doesn’t, and while the Vitodens offers up to 97% energy efficiency, the Greenstar can only get as high as 94%.
The Greenstar also only offers a 10 litre per minute hot water flow rate, while the Vitodens 050 offers 12 litres per minutes.
Perhaps the biggest difference is on price The Viessmann Vitodens 050 is available from just £1,670 on HEATABLE. But the Worcester Bosch Greenstar 25i will cost anything from £1,850 to £2,200 depending on where you buy it from.
In other words, the Viessmann Vitodens 050 is a better boiler in many areas and is also available at a lower price.
So far, we have touched on a number of the unique features that the Viessmann Vitodens 050 boiler offers that comparable alternatives do not. In this section, we will focus on some of these in more detail:
- Stainless steel heat exchanger – The Vitodens 050 comes with a high-quality stainless steel Inox-Radial heat exchanger. This component efficiently converts the supplied energy into heat while keeping gas use to a minimum. The material is a key feature here and stainless steel will typically last longer than aluminium meaning that this component, which is expensive to repair and replace, should last for longer.
- Shock Arrester – All boilers can make noise at different times, but those that are fitted with a shock arrester are generally far quieter than the others. The Vitodens 050 comes with a shock arrester fitted as standard. This is not the case with most of its competitors.
- Energy Efficient – Depending on the size of the boiler you choose, a Vitodens 050 boiler can offer an energy efficiency rating of up to 97%. This is a hugely impressive number for a gas combi boiler and almost comparable with some electric boilers.
- Integral instantaneous water heater – This component allows the Vitodens 050 to offer almost instantaneous hot water at any time. With a flow rate of 12 litres per minute (your tap typically offers 9 litres a minute), this means you should find yourself running out of hot water.
- Low CO2 emissions – The Vitodens 050 has some of the lowest CO2 emissions of any gas-powered combi boiler. That means if you want to be green but can’t afford the more expensive eco-friendly boiler alternatives, a Vitodens 050 is a great choice.
- Digital user interface with LCD display – The Viessmann Vitodens 050 comes with a digital user interface that is displayed on a bright LCD display. This helps to make this boiler extremely easy to use.
- Compact size – The Vitodens 050 is just 707mm high. This makes it one of the most compact combi boilers around and therefore easy to hide inside a cupboard, under the stairs, or anywhere else.
What size property can I use a Vitodens 050 boiler in?
As a compact, budget boiler, the Vitodens 050 boiler is best used in smaller properties. Viessmann highlights that it is ideally suited for new build properties or modern renovations to replace older, outdated boilers.
In fact, it can be used in a property with anything up to three bedrooms and ten radiators which means it is ideal for most family homes.
It is also perfect for flats in multi-storey buildings too. The vertical flue system means you can connect up to five boilers on different floors to one flue system. This is one of the reasons why property develops love this boiler so much.
If your property is bigger than this, you should opt for a larger, more powerful Viessmann’s boiler. To find out what sized boiler is right for you, complete the form on the HEATABLE website. It will only take a few moments, but they will be able to recommend the best-sized boiler for your property and you can see if the Vitodens 050 boiler is right for you.
The cost of installing a Viessmann Vitodens 050 boiler will depend on who you get to do the job for you. Different tradespeople and installation companies will charge different prices which is why it is so important to get several quotes before deciding who to use.
We recommended using HEATABLE earlier in this guide and their prices will include all installation costs.
Other variables will include what other work you need to have done. If, for example, your pipework needs repairing, you need new radiators, or you are planning to move your boiler, this will all add to your installation costs.
The Viessmann Vitodens 050 comes with a digital user interface with LCD display. This makes programming your boiler and controlling it much easier than some other models with less user-friendly controls.
The Vitodens 050 is also compatible with all the major smart thermostats and control units that are currently on the market in the UK. This means if you want to go for a high-tech control unit with your new Viessmann’s boiler, the Vitodens 050 will let you.
We are seriously impressed with the Viessmann Vitodens 050 boiler. For a low-cost, budget range boiler, it has an awful lot going for it.
Some of the unique features the Vitodens 050 has to offer cannot be found on other boilers in this price bracket. It comes with high-quality German engineering and a long warranty, especially if you buy through HEATABLE.
We strongly recommend buying through HEATABLE as they offer some of the most competitive prices and are able to install your new boiler as quickly as the following day.
- Have you got a Viessmann Vitodens 050 boiler?
- How has it worked out for you?
- Do you have any feedback we haven’t covered in this guide?
- Did you buy it through HEATABLE? How impressed were you with their service?
We always welcome comments and feedback from all our readers, so why not share yours with us using the comment box below.