Viessmann Vitodens 200-W Sizes, Features, Prices, and Alternatives (2023 Review)
The Viessmann Vitodens 200-W is a durable, well-built boiler replete with features that make it one of the most advanced models on the market. The Viessmann Vitodens 200-W boiler has an energy efficiency rating of 94% and a 10-year warranty on its long-lasting, stainless steel heat exchanger. The Vitodens 200-W is affordable at £2,300-£2,800, including installation.
The 200-W offers both combi and system boiler models. The 200-W system boiler comes in sizes 11kW, 19kW, 25kW, and 32kW while the 200-W combi boiler comes in 25kW and 32kW. The 200-W system boiler is capable of supporting all sizes of properties given its wide range of sizes, from the smallest 1-2 bedroom apartments to 4+ bedroom houses. The 200-W combi boiler is suitable for small and medium-sized apartments and homes with up to 4 bedrooms.
The Vitodens 200-W is most impressive under its casing, with a host of well-made parts. The MatriX Plus burner and Inox-Radial heat exchanger are both made from stainless steel. The metal is highly durable, resistant to corrosion, and performs well at high temperatures. Both parts have additional features that boost the Vitodens 200-W’s energy efficiency. Viessman believes so much in the durability of these parts that they offer a 10-year warranty on the 200-W’s heat exchanger.
The Vitodens 200-W also includes Viessman’s wifi integration system via the ViCare App. You can adjust your central heating from anywhere. Where ViCare goes beyond the WiFi integrations of other boilers is that it senses how far you are from your boiler and adjusts the 200-W’s settings accordingly.
The Viessmann Vitodens 200-W has a weather compensation feature that improves energy efficiency and comfort. The 200-W uses an external thermostat to measure changes in the outside temperature. The boiler uses this information to automatically adjust your heating before you even notice that the weather has changed.
What are the main benefits of the Vitodens 200-W?
The four main benefits of the Vitodens 200-W are as follows.
- WiFi-enabled controls: You’re able to control the Vitodens 200-W from the ViCare app. The wifi-enabled controls allow you to set your central heating no matter where you are and come with bonus features like geo-locking.
- High-quality, stainless-steel parts: The 200-W’s heat exchanger and burner are made out of stainless steel and employ the latest technology to improve your boiler’s energy efficiency.
- Energy efficiency: The Vitodens 200-W has an energy efficiency rating of 94%, meaning the 200-W wastes only 6 pence for every £1 you spend on heating.
- Hydrogen-ready: The 200-W is one of the few boilers on the market that can run on a 20% hydrogen blend. Hydrogen promises to be an inexpensive and energy-efficient fuel that is increasingly popular with boiler manufacturers and regulators.
What sizes does the Viessmann Vitodens 200-W come in?
The Vitodens 200-W comes in 11kW, 19kW, 25kW, and 32kW sizes as a system boiler and 25kW and 32kW as a combi boiler. The difference between a system and a combi boiler is that a system boiler uses a hot water tank to store pre-heated water while a combi boiler heats water on demand. We’ve listed the specifications for the different boiler sizes of the Vitodens 200-W in the table below.
|Viessmann Vitodens 200-W Sizes and Specifications|
|Specifications||Viessmann Vitodens 200-W 11 kW||Viessmann Vitodens 200-W 19 kW||Viessmann Vitodens 200-W 25kW||Viessmann Vitodens 200-W 32kW|
|Central heating output||11 kW||19 kW||25 kW||32 kW|
|Hot water output||17.4 kw||17.4 kW||22.9/31.1 kW||29.3/34.2 kW|
|Boiler Type||System||System||System, Combi||System, Combi|
|Hot Water Flow Rate (30℃)||N/A||N/A||15.7 l/min||17 l/min|
|Noise Level (dB)||49||49||49||49|
|Guarantee Length (Worcester-accredited Installer)||5/12 Years||5/12 Years||5/12 Years||5/12 Years|
|Suitability||A small apartment with 10 radiators, 1 -2 bedrooms, and 1 bathroom.||A medium-sized apartment or detached home with 10 – 15 radiators, 2-4 bedrooms, and 2 bathrooms.||Combi: A small apartment with 10 radiators, 2 bedrooms, and 1 bathroom.System: A medium-sized apartment or detached home with 10 – 15 radiators, 2-4 bedrooms, and 2 bathrooms.||Combi: A medium-sized apartment or detached home with 10-15 radiators, 2-4 bedrooms, and 2 bathrooms.System: A large home or apartment with 10 – 20 radiators, 4+ bedrooms, and 2+ bathrooms.|
The size suitability in the table above is only an estimate and the best boiler size for your property may depend on its unique characteristics. You should go to a reputable installer to get a specific quote for your property like Heatable. Heatable allows you to find the perfect boiler for your property using Heatable’s online calculator without ever having to call a gas engineer to your house. Heatable offer the best deals on boiler installations because they don’t operate physical storefronts to reduce their costs and maintain great relationships with boiler distributors.
Is the Vitodens 200-W a reliable boiler?
The Viessmann 200 is a reliable boiler. Viessmann boilers like the Vitodens 200-W are manufactured with the following two unique components that make them highly durable.
- Stainless steel heat exchanger: The Vitodens 200-W has a stainless steel heat exchanger that is highly resistant to both heat and corrosion and comes with a 10-year warranty.
- Stainless steel burner: The Vitodens 200-W’s burner is made from stainless steel meaning it can function at high temperatures without damage.
Vitodens 200-W stainless steel heat exchanger
The Vitodens 200-W features the Viessmann proprietary Inox-Radial heat exchanger. The heat exchanger transfers heat from the burner to the water. The exchanger is one of the most difficult and expensive components to replace. The advantage of a stainless steel exchanger like the Inox-Radial is that the metal is very hard-wearing and can withstand high temperatures without sustaining damage. Stainless steel also forms a protective layer when it comes into contact with water, reducing rust damage.
Viessmann cover the Inox-Radial heat exchanger in the Vitodens 200-W with a 10-year warranty. The length of this warranty provides you with good cover if this crucial component is damaged and speaks to the confidence Viessmann place in its design.
Vitodens 200-W stainless steel burner
The Vitodens 200-W includes the MatriX Plus burner, which is one of the most advanced boiler burners on the market. The MatriX Plus is made from stainless steel, which provides a big boost to the 200-W’s durability because the burner can withstand high temperatures without damage. Stainless steel is also resistant to corrosion.
How energy-efficient is the Viessmann Vitodens 200-W?
The Viessmann 200-W is an energy-efficient boiler with an “A-rating” and a seasonal space heating efficiency of 94%. This percentage means that the Vitodens 200-W uses 94 pence to heat your home for every £1 you spend on central heating, losing 6 pence to energy to waste. The following four features help the Viessmann Vitodens 200-W achieve this level of energy efficiency.
- MatriX Plus Burner: The MatriX Plus adjusts the strength of its flame to use fuel as efficiently as possible.
- Lambda Pro combustion control system: The Lambda Pro combustion control system controls the Vitodens 200-W gas usage in-line with fuel and flame quality.
- Modulation range of 1:17: The Viessmann 200-W can reduce its output to 1/17 of its maximum. This modulation allows you to use less energy when you only need hot water.
Viessmann MatriX Plus burner
The Vitodens 200-W features the MatriX Plus burner, which reduces fuel consumption by adjusting the strength of its flame to meet your hot water usage in the most efficient way possible. The MatriX Plus burner has many individual flames positioned around a cylinder. This unique design allows the MatriX Plus to reduce its flame strength by shutting off as many of those individual flames as it deems appropriate. The MatriX Plus burner is thus able to meet exactly your heating needs without wasting any fuel by burning excess flames.
Viessmann Lambda Pro combustion control system
The Viessmann 200-W has the Lambda Pro Combustion Control System, which senses the available gas type and quality to use the perfect amount of fuel to meet your heating needs. The Lamda Pro further controls air supply depending on the quality of the flame in the Vitodens 200-W’s burner. The Lambda Pro saves on your energy bill by ensuring you only use the fuel necessary to produce the heat you need.
Vitodens 200-W modulation range of 1:17
The Vitodens 200-W has a modulation range of 1:17, meaning the boiler can reduce its output in increments of 1/17th of its full energy output. This range is impressive in comparison to other top-line boilers like the Worcester Greenstar 8000, which has a modulation ratio of 1:10. The ability to reduce energy output to such a small fraction of total output means that the Vitodens 200-W can meet small demands on your hot water supply without heating water unnecessarily. This energy saving in turn saves you money on your energy bill.
Does Viessmann Vitodens 200-W save money on energy bills?
Yes, Viessmann Vitodens 200-W saves money on energy bills by using energy more efficiently for hot water and central heating. Transitioning from an energy-inefficient “G-rated” boiler to an energy-efficient “A-rated” boiler like the Vitodens 200-W could save you as much as £840 a year if you live in a detached home, according to the Energy Saving Trust. That same transition could save you £230 or £540 a year for a ground-floor flat or a semi-detached house respectively.
What are the main features of the Vitodens 200-W?
There are four main features of the Vitodens 200-W, as listed below.
- ViCare controls: Viessmann’s ViCare Controls allow you to control the Vitodens 200-W from your phone and offers advanced options like geofencing.
- Intuitive LED touch screen: The Vitodens 200-W features an intuitive LED touch screen that makes interacting with your boiler refreshingly simple.
- 20% Hydrogen readiness: The 200-W is one of only a handful of boilers that can run on a hydrogen blend, putting you ahead of the curve in terms of fuel economy and carbon emissions.
- Weather compensation: The Vitodens 200-W automatically adjusts your central heating as the outside temperature changes.
Vitodens 200-W comes with ViCare controls that offer the following capacities.
- Smartphone control: You can connect to the Vitodens 200-W via your smartphone with the ViCare app. Set your central heating options from anywhere inside or outside of your home.
- Geofencing: The ViCare system uses its connection with your smartphone to sense how far you are from your smartphone and adjust your central heating when you leave your home.
- Remote troubleshooting capability: The 200-W’s wifi ViCare controls may soon permit engineers to remotely troubleshoot basic problems with your boiler. Viessmann plans to roll out this functionality in the future.
Intuitive LED touchscreen
The Vitodens 200-W has an intuitive LED touch screen that makes it easy for you to adjust your boiler’s settings without having to break out the user manual. The controls are easy to understand and reduce your need to rely on the services of a gas engineer for easily-fixed problems.
20% hydrogen content
The Viessmann 200-W is able to run on a 20% hydrogen and 80% gas mixture. Only Viessmann and Worcester manufacture boilers that can currently run on a hydrogen mix. Hydrogen is a promising new fuel for boilers as it is more efficient than gas, with 1kg of hydrogen able to produce the same amount of energy as 2.8kg of gas. Hydrogen is also a non-carbon fuel so it does not contribute negatively to fossil fuel emissions.
The Vitodens 200-W has weather compensation tools that optimise the boiler’s energy efficiency. Weather compensation means that the 200-W uses external thermostats to measure the outside air temperature and adjusts your central heating as soon as the outside temperature changes. This approach is in contrast to traditional methods which rely on an internal thermostat that will only make adjustments once the internal temperature has started to change. Other systems lack even this function and rely on you changing the temperature settings once you become either uncomfortably hot or cold.
The Vitodens 200-W’s weather compensation benefits you in two ways. First, weather compensation makes you more comfortable by preventing unintended changes in indoor temperature. Second, this innovation saves you money on energy bills by avoiding unnecessary heating when the outside temperature is already rising.
How much does it cost to install a Vitodens 200-W?
The Viessmann Vitodens 200-W price ranges from £2,300 – £2,850. This price range includes the price of the boiler and the cost of the installation. The Vitodens 200-W itself without installation costs £1,200 – £1,800. The Viessmann Vitodens 200-W 60kW price is between £4,000 – £5,000 and is much higher because the 200-W 60kW is a commercial boiler capable of much higher outputs.
The following five factors determine the Vitodens 200-W boiler installation costs.
- Location: Geography is a big determiner of boiler installation costs. Expensive property markets like London and Edinburgh have higher boiler installation costs.
- Installer: Different installers charge different prices for their services. National installers like British Gas can often charge premiums because of their brand recognition, while online installers like Heatable charge lower rates because they don’t have to operate expensive overhead like physical storefronts. Sometimes it makes sense to pay less if an installer provides their service more efficiently by cutting unnecessary costs. However, you often get what you pay for, so beware of ultra-budget boiler installers.
- Scope of work: The more modifications you make to your existing heating infrastructure the higher the cost of installation. Moving the location of your boiler or changing your boiler type leads to the largest price increases.
- Warranty: Some boilers have manufacturer warranties that require specific installation processes that can drive up costs.
- Extras: Adding extras, like new boiler controls, increases the price of your boiler installation.
You should go through a professional installer to get a specific quote for installing the Vitodens 200-W on your property. Luckily, it’s possible to get such a quote without going through the hassle of calling out an installer to your property. Heatable have a quick and easy online calculator that gives you a fixed-price quote for a selection of high-quality boilers including the 200-W. Getting an online quote through Heatable takes only a minute and a half.
How do I find the best deal on a new Vitodens 200-W?
You can find the best deal on a new Vitodens 200-W by getting a fixed-price quote using Heatable’s easy online calculator. Heatable offers the best prices on Vitodens 200-W installations as they do not operate any storefronts and maintain great relationships with boiler distributors across the UK. They can then pass those savings on to you. Heatable pride themselves so much on the quality of their service that they offer a 10-year warranty as standard on all boiler installations.
How long is the Vitodens 200-W warranty?
The Vitodens 200-W warranty is 5 years long as standard, so long as you use a Viessmann-accredited installer. It is possible to extend this warranty to 10 or 12 years by paying an additional fee. Viessmann’s warranty for the 200-W does not cover damage due to poor installation or human error, so ensure you use a reputable installer like Heatable who back their work with a warranty. You must register your 200-W through the Viessmann installer portal within 30 days of its installation to avoid invalidating the warranty. Finally, the 200-W’s stainless steel heat exchanger is covered by a separate 10-year warranty.
What is the best alternative to the Viessmann Vitodens 200-W?
The best alternative to the Viessmann Vitodens 200-W is the Alpha E-Tec. The specifications for both models are outlined in the table below.
|Vitodens 200-W||Alpha E-Tec|
|Boiler Outputs||11kW – 32kW||20 – 30kW|
|Boiler Type||System, Combi||System, Combi|
|Hot Water Flow Rate (l/min)||15.7 – 17 l/min||14.1 l/min|
|Warranty||5/12 Years||10 Years|
|Installation Cost||£2,300 – £2,850||£1,800 – £2,200|
Is Viessmann Vitodens 200-W right for my home?
The following four factors determine if the Vitodens 200-W is right for your home.
- The boiler’s size: Make sure you get the right size boiler for your property. The Vitodens 200-W system boiler comes with size options suitable for small, medium, and large apartments with a size range from 11kW to 32kW. The Viessmann combi boiler is only suitable for small and medium-sized properties with 25kW and 32kW.
- The boiler’s flow rate: You must also consider if the Viessmann w200’s flow rate is high enough to deliver enough hot water to your property. The 200-W’s 15.7 l/min and 17 l/min are suitable for small and medium-sized properties but would not suit a larger property.
- Your budget: The Vitodens 200-W is a great value at £2,300 to £2,850, given its impressive features and the property size it can sustain.
- Your heating demands: Different people might need a different boiler for the same property. Your hot water usage and central heating preferences should help you decide whether the 200-W is right for you.
Is the Viessmann Vitodens 200-W worth it? (Review Verdict)
The Viessmann Vitedoens 200-W is worth it for anyone seeking an innovative boiler at a reasonable price. The Vitodens 200-W features the latest innovations that optimize your fuel usage by measuring fuel quality and adjusting fuel usage accordingly. Moreover, Viessmann nails the basics with a solid energy efficiency rating, durable build, and a wide range of sizes and outputs to suit all property sizes.
There are four main advantages to the Vitodens 200-W. First, 200-W uses the latest technology to deliver an impressive level of personalization and competitive energy efficiency. Second, the Vitodens 200-W runs on a hydrogen mix, keeping you at the cutting edge of green technology. Third, the 200-W is a durable boiler with stainless steel parts that can hold up to years of heavy use. Finally, the Viessmann 200-W is priced reasonably for its features at just £2,300 – £2,850.
There is one disadvantage to the Vitodens 200-W. Viessmann’s 5-year warranty is meagre compared to other boiler brands in this price range. Worcester Bosch offer 12 or 10-year warranties on their premium boilers and thus offer a lot more protection for consumers. It is possible to extend the 200-W’s warranty to 10 or 12 years for an additional fee.
Viessmann Vitodens 200-W FAQs
We answer the most frequently asked questions about the Vitodens 200-W below.
Is Vaillant better than Viessmann?
No, Valliant is not better than Viessmann. Both boiler brands offer an impressive range of boilers that perform well and last a long time. However, there are four reasons why we think Viessmann boilers are better than Valliant boilers. First, Viessmann boilers feature more advanced parts like the Inox-Radial heat exchanger and the MatriX burner that deliver better overall efficiency and durability. Second, Viessmann boilers come with a longer standard warranty as Valliant only offer a 2-year warranty on some models. Third, Viessmann boilers come in at a slightly lower price than Valliant boilers. Finally, Viessmann boilers are on average smaller than Valliant models.
How long should a Viessmann boiler last?
Viessmann boilers should last 5-10 years. The life of your Viessmann boiler will vary on the following three factors. First, the quality of your installation will determine how many future repairs you have to make due to poor installation. Second, different Viessmann boilers may last for different lengths of time. Finally, your diligence in maintaining and regularly servicing your boiler can help to extend the life of your boiler.
Boiler lifespans vary from case to case and we can’t predict accurately how long yours will last. However, warranty lengths are a good indicator of how long a manufacturer expects their boiler to operate well. The Vitodens 200-W has a warranty length of 5 years that you can extend to 10 or 12 years for a fee. So, it is a good bet to expect your 200-W to last between 5-10 years.
What is the most powerful Viessmann boiler?
The most powerful Viessmann boiler depends on its use case. The Vitodens 200-W 60kW is the most powerful Viessman boiler for commercial use. The most powerful Viessmann boiler for residential use is the Vitodens 111-W 35kW.
What temperature should my Viessmann boiler be set at?
You should set your Viessmann boiler at a temperature between 65℃ and 70℃. This is the temperature for the hot water storage tank itself and any temperature lower than 65℃ will allow the formation of dangerous bacteria in your hot water. Higher temperatures than 70℃ will use up more energy than you may want.
Room temperature is different. Most people are most comfortable between 18℃ and 21℃ while 16-19℃ is the best range for sleep. You may want to set your heating a little lower to save some money. But, that decision depends on your budget.
Are Viessmann boilers quiet?
Yes, Viessmann boilers are quiet. The Vitodens 200-W has a sound rating of just 49 decibels, which puts it well below average for combi boilers. Other quiet boilers like the Biasi Advance Plus 7 25kW and the Ariston Alteas One Net 30 produce 51 and 52 decibels of sound respectively.