HeatingForce is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Best Boiler and Central Heating Cover (Reviewed) in 2020
Boiler care plans are now seen by many people as being just as essential as home and contents insurance. In exchange for just a few pounds a month, you can be sure that your boiler is covered if something goes wrong, saving you from some large, unexpected bills.
This wasn’t always the case. Boiler cover used to be seen as an expensive and unnecessary cost that left most users out of pocket. But the arrival of new names in the market has driven down costs and driven up service and now, boiler and central heating care plans are vital for both homeowners and landlords.
Indeed, the dilemma for most people nowadays is not whether or not to get a boiler and central heating cover plan, but which one to opt for.
In this guide, we will tell you everything you need to know about boiler and central heating cover plans. We will also reveal the results of our exclusive research into the best plans on the market in the UK right now and give you some top tips on how to ensure you are always getting the best deal for you.
Table of Contents
What is central heating cover?
A boiler and central heating cover plan sits neatly in the gap between home or landlord insurance and boiler warranties. It offers all the benefits of an insurance policy and means that you can be confident that if something goes wrong, you will not have to pay out anything.
But it offers much more than that too. A boiler and central heating plan also acts like an emergency service. When you have a problem with your boiler, central heating system, or anything else that is covered by your plan, there will be an emergency helpline that you can call. With just one call, your provider will make all the arrangements to get a qualified engineer to your door at the earliest opportunity.
They will know exactly what type of boiler and central heating system you have, so should always be equipped with all the relevant parts to get your problem repaired fast. If the problem can’t be fixed, most plans will also cover the installation of a brand new boiler at no extra cost.
And there is more. Most boiler plans also come with an annual boiler service thrown in for free, while landlord plans include this and a gas safety inspection and certificate too.
The only costs to you for this service is your agreed monthly fee and agreed excess you might have. Beyond that, you shouldn’t be charged a penny no matter how big the problem is or how many times you use the service.
Why spend money on a boiler and central heating care plan?
The question we get asked most about boiler and central heating care plans is why homeowners and landlords should bother to spend their hard-earned money on plans like these when they already have either home and contents or landlords insurance or a warranty.
The answer is that there are numerous advantages to a boiler and central heating care plan that neither insurance nor warranties can provide.
- Emergency helpline – Insurance policies and warranties might cover the costs, but they will always leave you with all the hassle of arranging the repairs. All boiler and central heating care plans offer an emergency helpline. Just one call and they will make all the arrangements to get your problem fixed.
- Premiums – If you make a claim on your insurance policy, you might end up paying for it later through increased premiums. With most boiler and central heating care plans, this isn’t an issue. Monthly payments are standardised and should never go up, even if you use their service multiple times.
- All parts and labour included – A lot of insurance policies and warranties will only cover the core costs meaning you often have to shell out for parts and labour. But a boiler and central heating care plan should always cover all parts and labour costs meaning you know exactly how much you will be spending.
- Guaranteed coverage – Everyone has experience of insurance companies trying to wriggle their way out of paying out on a claim. There is no such problem with boiler and central heating care plans. Once you sign up you have guaranteed coverage regardless of what the issue with your boiler is.
- Quick fixes – Insurance and warranties might cover costs but they will not guarantee the problem is fixed fast. That is left up to you and how quickly you can engage a tradesperson. Not so with boiler and central heating care plans. Their helpline will get a qualified engineer to your door fast and the majority can almost guarantee a first-time fix. It doesn’t matter what time of year or where you are, you can be confident of a fast fix.
- Less hassle – Most people, especially landlords, don’t want the hassle of sorting out a boiler or central heating fix. With a cover plan, there is no hassle, just a single phone call. If you are a landlord, most providers will even let tenants contact them directly meaning you don’t have to lift a finger.
- Range of coverage – A boiler and central heating care plan can provide cover for a huge range of different items. Depending on your choice of plan, you could get protection for just your boiler or your central heating system, plumbing, electrics, home security, and even pest control. Insurance and warranties will often not cover some of these items at all.
- Peace of mind – The biggest benefit of a boiler and central heating care plan is the peace of mind it brings you. Insurance and warranties may cover costs, but they don’t cover a lot of the other hassle involved. A cover plan will take care of everything, no matter how serious the problem or when it happens. That means you have the peace of mind of knowing that you are always protected.
Best Boiler and Central Heating Cover
The case for taking out a boiler and central heating care plan is a compelling one so the main decision a lot of people have is which plan and provider you want to choose.
This can be a difficult decision as the market has a large number of quality providers. Fortunately, we have spent the past few months researching all the top plans and providers to see which perform best overall.
We have now compiled our findings and are able to recommend the top three boiler and central heating care plan providers available in the UK right now.
We know that these plans are popular with both homeowners and landlords, but there is a difference between the types of plans firms offer. We are therefore offering a top three for both homeowners and landlords:
Best Homeowner Boiler and Central Heating Care plans
#1 – YourRepair Boiler Cover Homeplan
YourRepair Boiler Cover Homeplan is our top recommendation for homeowners. It combines a superb level of customer service with flexible plans and highly competitive prices. The result is a stunning all-round plan.
If you choose YourRepair, you will have a choice of five plans. This means you can opt for anything from basic boiler cover to a comprehensive plan that includes electrics, home security, and even pest control. With plans starting at just £9 a month, the prices are extremely competitive. All their boiler care plans come with an annual boiler service and a carbon monoxide test as standard. They also include all costs for parts and labour and unlimited callouts.
YourRepair has a UK-based 24/7 emergency helpline staffed by helpful support staff that will make all the arrangements to get your problem fixed and help put your mind at ease too. They use a network of more than 5,000 qualified heating engineers and boast a 95% first-repair success rate which means you can be confident your problem will be resolved fast. YourRepair’s commitment to their customers is illustrated in their customer service promise and in our testing, this was really evident in the service they delivered.
BEST HOME CARE PLAN: Try YourRepair Boiler Cover Homeplan today and save even more with our exclusive deal
#2 – 24/7 Home Rescue Boiler and Heating Cover
24/7 Home Rescue is a high-quality boiler and home care plan provider that offers a top service at the lowest prices on the market.
Their home care plans start at just £7.47 a month which means 24/7 Home Rescue is the cheapest provider on our list. They also offer a monthly rolling contract rather than a 12-month agreement. That means you can cancel at any time and only have to finish your existing months’ agreement. This flexibility has proved a big draw for homeowners.
Prices may be low but they don’t mean you have to compromise on service. All plans come with an annual boiler service and cover the cost of all parts and labour as standard. 24/7 Home Rescue also has a 95% first-time repair rate and a large network of qualified engineers on standby. All subscribers are entitled to unlimited repairs and they can also access a 24/7 UK-based helpline.
Read our in-depth review of 24/7 Home Rescue Boiler & Heating Cover Service
BEST VALUE FOR MONEY: Rolling monthly contracts and low prices make 24/7 Home Rescue a truly cost-effective home care plan provider.
#3 – British Gas Home and Boiler Cover
British Gas is the biggest name provider on this list. It is one of the UK’s big-six utilities providers and has a strong reputation. This is reflected in their home care plans which are more expensive than the others on this list but do provide you with access to British Gas’ dedicated network of trained engineers. They only service British Gas customers which should mean you get a fast and high-quality service.
Choosing British Gas gives you the confidence that comes with signing up for a household name but reviews of there are plans actually more mixed than their less-well-known rivals. They do offer four plans that cover everything from just your boiler to a comprehensive deal that covers all electrics and plumbing systems too.
British Gas has a 14-day cooling-off period that means you can change your mind in the first two weeks if you want to. They have dedicated helplines and will cover parts and labour costs too. If you want the reassurance of going with a big-name provider, British Gas is the best option for you.
Read our in-depth review on British Gas Homecare
BIGGEST REPUTATION: You know what you are going to get with British Gas and for a little more you can have the confidence of using a tried-and-tested provider.
Best Landlord Boiler and Central Heating Care plans
#1 – YourRepair Landlord Boiler Cover Homeplan
YourRepair’s Landlord Boiler Cover Homeplan is our top recommendation for landlords because it delivers all the high-quality service of their homeowners plan but with some special landlord-friendly add-ons thrown in. You still get an exceptional level of customer service with flexible plans and competitive prices that come together to deliver a high-quality all-round service.
YourRepair’s landlord-specific plans offer a choice of five different cover plans to suit all financial circumstances. There is still the option to cover anything from just your boiler to everything from electrics, home security, and pest control. Prices are still impressive with the cheapest landlord plan starting from just £11 a month. This price includes your annual boiler service and a free gas safety inspection and certificate. They also come with unlimited callouts and cover all costs for parts and labour.
YourRepair landlord customers can also access a dedicated UK-based 24/7 emergency helpline and the company’s network of more than 5,000 qualified heating engineers. Their 95% first-repair success rate applies to landlords too and as does their detailed customer promise. YourRepair has proved a smash hit with landlords up and down the country and in tests, it was easy to see why.
Read our in-depth review of YourRepair Landlord Boiler Cover Plans
BEST HOME CARE PLAN: Try YourRepair Landlord Boiler Cover Homeplan today and save even more with our exclusive deal
#2 – 24/7 Home Rescue Landlord Boiler and Heating Cover
24/7 Home Rescue’s Landlord boiler and heating cover is also the cheapest option for landlords, but it still delivers an impressive and comprehensive service. There are a range of plans available and prices start from just £9.47 a month, which is an astonishingly low price for such a detailed service.
The 24/7 Home Rescue policy of using rolling monthly contracts rather than tying landlords into an annual package has proved really popular as it means if properties are not tenanted, landlords have the option to stop their cover to cut their outlay temporarily.
24/7 Home Rescue landlord plans still offer a high quality of service. All landlord deals include gas safety checks and boiler services as well as covering the costs of all parts and labour. They have a large network of qualified engineers available and a 95% first-time repair rate. Their consistently high customer reviews show the high level of satisfaction they have from their landlord customers.
Read our in-depth review of 24/7 Home Rescue Landlord Cover Plans
BEST VALUE FOR MONEY: Rolling monthly contracts and low prices make 24/7 Home Rescue a truly cost-effective landlord home care plan provider.
#3 – British Gas Landlord Home and Boiler Cover
British Gas is a household name and one of the UK’s big six utility providers. It’s landlord care plans offer access to its large network of dedicated engineers and also come with the peace of mind that is associated with using an established and well-regarded company.
Like their homeowner plans, British Gas’ landlord cover does cost a little more than the other providers on this list. But they do offer a 14-day cooling-off period to let new customers change their minds. A lot of landlords appreciate this flexibility, but reviews show that their service level is generally perceived to be a little more mixed.
Landlords do get the choice of four flexible plans and British Gas plans all come with your annual boiler service, a gas safety check and certificate, and cover for all parts and labour included.
Read our in-depth review of British Gas Landlord Home and Boiler Cover
BIGGEST REPUTATION: You know what you are going to get with British Gas and for a little more you can have the confidence of using a tried-and-tested provider.
How to pick?
Whether you are a homeowner or landlord, we have outlined the top three care plan providers to protect you.
But deciding which of these plans is best for you is still tricky. There are a number of different factors you need to consider. Some, such as cost and level of coverage offered are obvious and decisions that you have to make for yourself.
But there are a few other considerations that are well worth bearing in mind, but which some people will overlook. These include things like:
- Is your boiler covered? – Most boiler and central heating care plans will cover all the major manufacturers and models. But there are some exceptions in some plans. It is therefore important to check that your boiler is covered before signing up. This is especially true if you have an older boiler or if it is made by a manufacturer that is no longer trading.
- Choose the right package – Think very carefully about which cover plan is right for you. You may think that you only need a basic package only to find that it is the extra items that are going wrong. Things to consider when choosing a package include the age of your property and the systems in it, the age of boiler you have, how you use the property and, if you have tenants in a property, how careful they are likely to be.
- Factor in free extras – When allocating a budget for your boiler and central heating care plan, it is worth bearing in mind what comes for free with the majority of plans. You can expect your annual boiler service to be included and a landlord plan will also usually cover a gas safety inspection and certificate. This types of things can typically cost around £80 a time, which you have to pay out in any case. So be sure to factor this cost into any budget calculations.
- Think about the excess – The chance to keep your monthly fees low can tempt some people into leaving a large excess on a boiler and central heating care plan. But this approach can be a mistake, especially if you are likely to use the service more than once. Think carefully when choosing your excess level and consider things like the age of your system when choosing the right level. Sometimes paying a little more each month can end up saving you more overall.
The case for getting a boiler and central heating cover plan is a strong one, which is why more and more homeowners and landlords are opting to invest in one.
But there are lots of plan providers on the market and the difficulty for customers is knowing which one to choose. In this guide, we have explained some of the things you should be looking for from your plan and also given you some top tips.
Most importantly, we have also revealed the results of our exclusive tests that reveal the top three boiler and central heating cover plan providers for both homeowners and landlords.
How it worked out?
Are you a homeowner or landlord that has taken advantage of a cover plan to protect your home or property? Which of our recommended providers did you opt for? How has your experience of them been? Do you have any advice or tips for our readers that we haven’t touched on in this guide?
It is always helpful to hear about people’s real-life experiences, so please do share yours with our readers today using the comment box below.