HeatingForce is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Best Boiler Cover: Compare Boiler Plans, Starting at £2.47 a month
It’s the stuff of nightmares. It’s the height of winter, everyone is getting ready for Christmas, expenditure is high, money is tight, and your boiler chooses that exact moment to stop working. It’s too cold to try and carry on without hot water and heating, but the thought of trying to find a gas engineer and how much they might want to charge for the job leaves you in a cold sweat.
We’ve all been there and it is one of the worst feelings. You know you are going to face a huge bill, you know it’s going to take ages to get the problem fixed, and there is nothing you can do about it.
Except there is. If you have the cover of a boiler care plan, all you have to do is make one phone call. They will do the rest. No big bills. No long waits. The problem will be solved fast and you can get on with your festive preparations.
If you’re not sure what boiler care is, if you have always thought boiler care was a rip-off, or if you want to find out where to find the best boiler care plan, this is the guide for you. Keep on reading to find out everything you need to know about boiler care including the results of our exclusive research to identify the best boiler cover care plans and providers available in the UK right now.
Table of Contents
What is boiler cover?
You will already be familiar with home and contents insurance and while you probably have both types, the chances are you are reluctant to make claims on it for a number of reasons, not least the likely spike in premiums you can look forward to if you do.
It is quite possible that, if your boiler is relatively new it has a warranty on it. This means the manufacturer should fix any problems that arise with it.
Boiler cover sits in the middle of these two solutions. Like them, it is a type of insurance policy. But it works more like an emergency service for your home. When something goes wrong with your boiler, you ring up your provider’s helpline and they will arrange for a qualified and experienced gas engineer to visit your home as fast as possible, Even better, all the costs for parts and labour are covered.
If that doesn’t sound like enough, a boiler cover plan will almost always also include an annual boiler service too. Some will include other complimentary checks, such as a carbon monoxide test, while landlords will usually get a gas safety check and certificate included in their deals.
All you have to do is keep up payment on your agreed monthly rate and be ready to pay the standard excess rate you agreed when you first took out your boiler cover plan.
Why is boiler cover better than insurance and a warranty?
As we explained in the previous section, boiler cover fills the gap between home insurance and boiler warranties. But we are often asked why boiler cover is a better option for both homeowners and landlords.
The answer is simple. Boiler cover plans almost always offer a lot more than conventional insurance and warranties and then also come without many of the downsides of using these more traditional types of coverage.
In this section, we are going to outline a few of the main advantages of using boiler cover over-relying on either your warranty or a traditional insurance policy:
- Emergency helpline – A traditional insurance policy or a warranty might cover the core costs of a boiler breakdown, but they will not help you get the problem fixed fast. Boiler cover plans include access to an emergency helpline. You just have to make one call and they will sort out all the arrangements to get your problem fixed.
- All parts and labour costs covered included – Insurance and warranties may cover some of the costs, but they often won’t cover them all and you can end up having to fork out for labour costs and even some parts. With boiler cover plans, everything is covered so you know exactly how much you are going to be spending and can budget accordingly.
- Quick fixes – If you rely on an insurance policy or a warranty, you are still at the mercy of your local tradesperson. If they can’t get to you for two weeks, you will have to wait two weeks to get the problem fixed. With boiler cover plans, you will get a qualified engineer sent to your door as fast as possible, no matter what time of year it is. Most providers try to get emergencies sorted within 24 hours.
- Premiums – If you make a claim for a boiler breakdown on your home or landlord insurance, you might get a payout now, but your premiums are likely to go up the next time you renew to punish you for claiming. Boiler cover plans work differently. With almost all providers, monthly payments are standardized. That means your costs should never go up no matter how many times you use their service.
- Guaranteed coverage – We have all heard stories of insurance companies trying to wriggle their way out of paying a claim. Boiler cover plans come with no such risks. Once you have signed up, you are covered no matter what goes wrong or how many call-outs you have to make.
- Less hassle – For some, the stress and hassle of sorting out a boiler problem is as bad as the costs. Boiler cover plans offer a solution to both. All you have to do is make a single phone call and they will handle everything for you. If you are a landlord, most boiler cover providers will even let your tenants contact them directly meaning you don’t have to do anything.
- Range of coverage – Boiler cover plans can actually cover a lot more than just your boiler. Depending on the type of plan you choose, your cover can also deal with issues to do with central heating systems, plumbing, electrics, home security, and even pest control. Insurance and warranties will often not cover issues with some of these at all.
- Peace of mind – The biggest advantage of a boiler cover plan is the peace of mind it brings you. Insurance and warranties may cover costs, but they don’t cover a lot of the other hassle involved and there is always the nagging worry they might not payout. A cover plan will definitely take care of everything, no matter how serious the problem or when it happens. A boiler cover plan gives the peace of mind that insurance policies and warranties just can’t offer, and for thousands of homeowners and landlords across the UK, that is worth the small monthly fee on its own.
Choosing the best boiler cover plans
Once you have decided that taking out a boiler cover plan is the right move for you, the next step is deciding which provider and which plan is the best to suit your needs.
This can seem like an impossible decision. In recent years, there have been a number of different boiler cover providers entering the market and all offer slightly different but equally attractive types of cover.
When choosing the best plan for you, there are a few different things you need to consider. Some are fairly obvious but others are things you could easily overlook. Our researchers have been testing all the top boiler cover plans over the past few months and they have compiled a list of all the key things you should consider when choosing a provider:
- Is your boiler covered? – Most boiler cover plans will cover all the major boiler manufacturers and models. But every provider has some exceptions to their plans for different reasons. It is therefore very important to check that your boiler is covered by your chosen provider before signing up. This is usually only an issue if your boiler is older or made by a manufacturer that is no longer trading, but it is still worth checking in any case.
- Provider reputation – Some boiler cover providers are well-established utility companies that are already household names. Others are new entrants to the market and you may not have heard of them before. The quality of service doesn’t always correlate to this reputation but you should still check you are comfortable with the status of your provider before signing up.
- Choose the right plan – Think very carefully about which level of boiler and central heating cover plan is right for you. You may think that you only need a basic package only to find that it is those things covered by the more comprehensive packages that wind up going wrong. When choosing your package, think about the age of your plumbing and heating system and how your property is used as well as your budget.
- Factor in the add-ons – When choosing your plan think about what comes as standard with it and how much those items would cost on their own and factor this into your calculations. Homeowners can expect an annual boiler service to be included and a landlord plan will also usually cover a gas safety inspection and certificate as well. These can typically cost around £80 a time, and this is a cost you will be paying out with or without a boiler plan.
- Don’t ignore the excess – It’s easy to sign up to a boiler cover plan without giving too much thought to the excess you are agreeing to. Sites will usually default to the largest excess to show the lowest prices. But that might not be the right choice for you if your boiler or heating system is older and more prone to problems. Your callouts could end up costing a lot more than paying a little more each month for a lower excess. Think carefully and be sure to pick the right excess to suit your needs.
Who provides the best boiler cover for homeowners?
For the past few months, our researchers have been researching all of the major boiler cover plans currently available in the UK.
Their aim was to be able to compile a list of recommended providers. The project has now been completed and the results show that there are three boiler cover plans for homeowners that stood head and shoulder about the rest.
We can therefore confidently present our top three boiler cover plans in the UK right now:
1. YourRepair Boiler Cover Homeplan
YourRepair Boiler Cover Homeplan is our number one recommendation for homeowners. Its combination of superb customer service, flexible plans, and competitive prices has made it a popular choice with both market newcomers and those switching from other plan providers.
YourRepair subscribers have a choice of five plans which give them the flexibility to just cover their boiler, go for a comprehensive package that includes electrics, home security, and even pest control, or opt for something in the middle. Their boiler cover plans start at just £9 a month which is an extremely competitive price point. They also all an annual boiler service and a carbon monoxide test as standard as well as providing cover for all parts and labour and giving all customers unlimited callouts.
The YourRepair emergency helpline is based in the UK and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Its staff are fluent in English, friendly, helpful, and will solve any sort of issue with just a single call. YourRepair has a network of more than 5,000 qualified heating engineers and boasts a 95% first-repair success rate. Throw in their comprehensive customer promise, and this really is one of the most impressive boiler cover plans on the market right now. Our researchers were unanimous in recommending the YourRepair Boiler Cover Homeplan as their number one pick.
BEST HOME CARE PLAN: Try YourRepair Boiler Cover Homeplan today and save even more with our exclusive deal
2. 24/7 Home Rescue Boiler and Heating Cover
24/7 Home Rescue is a low-budget boiler cover provider that still delivers high-quality service and exceptional customer care. With plans starting at just £7.47 a month, there is no cheaper boiler cover provider on the market. But that doesn’t mean you have to compromise on service.
All plans come with an annual boiler service included and all will cover the cost of all parts and labour. 24/7 Home Rescue also has a 95% first-time repair rate and this is thanks in no small part to its large network of qualified engineers located across the UK. All subscribers can enjoy unlimited repairs and can also access their 24/7 UK-based helpline.
Perhaps the single biggest attraction about 24/7 Home Rescue is its unique rolling monthly contracts. With 24/7 Home Rescue, you don’t have to commit for a full year. You can choose to quit at any time and simply pay for your final months’ coverage. That contract flexibility has proved a big draw for homeowners and played a large part in 24/7 Home Rescue’s rapid growth in the UK.
BEST VALUE FOR MONEY: Rolling monthly contracts and low prices make 24/7 Home Rescue a truly cost-effective home care plan provider.
3. British Gas Home and Boiler Cover
British Gas is one of the UK’s big six utility providers and comes into this market with a huge reputation. A lot of customers like the option of signing up with a company they have heard of and one they are confident is big enough to never let them down.
British Gas reflects this attraction in its prices which are a little higher than its competitors. But for that, you do get access to British Gas’ network of trained engineers that work only for them. Contracts include a 14-day cooling-off period but there are reports that if you use the service a lot, premiums can be increased the following year.
Reviews of their service is a little mixed but they do offer four plans that allow you to cover everything from just your boiler to all your electrics and plumbing systems too. They have a dedicated helpline, cover the cost of parts and labour, and throw in an annual service too.
BIGGEST REPUTATION: You know what you are going to get with British Gas and for a little more you can have the confidence of using a tried-and-tested provider.
Who provides the best boiler cover for landlords?
It is not just homeowners who can benefit from boiler care plans. Landlords can too and their different requirements mean that a regular plan is not a good fit for them. That is why most providers offer dedicated landlord plans that include all the core features that most landlords are looking for.
Our team has also been researching these plans and their findings have also allowed us to create a list of the top three landlord boiler cover plans:
1. YourRepair Landlord Boiler Cover Homeplan
YourRepair’s Landlord Boiler Cover Homeplan also came top of the pile in our testing. Like it’s equivalent deal for homeowners it a high-quality customer-focused service with some special landlord-friendly add-ons included too.
YourRepair’s landlord-specific homeplan comes with a choice of five different cover plans to suit all financial situations. You can choose to cover anything from just your boiler to electrics, home security, and pest control with five differently-priced plans available. Prices are still impressive with the cheapest landlord plan starting from just £11 a month. That includes your annual boiler service and a free gas safety inspection and certificate as well as unlimited callouts and cover all costs for parts and labour.
YourRepair landlord customers also have access to their dedicated UK-based 24/7 emergency helpline and the company’s 5000-strong network of qualified heating engineers. Their 95% first-repair success rate applies to landlords too and as does their impressive customer promise. YourRepair has been a hugely popular option for landlords across the UK and our researchers all agreed that it was easy to see why.
BEST HOME CARE PLAN: Try YourRepair Landlord Boiler Cover Homeplan today and save even more with our exclusive deal
2. 24/7 Home Rescue Landlord Boiler and Heating Cover
24/7 Home Rescue’s Landlord boiler and heating cover is the cheapest option on the market for landlords, just as its homeowners equivalent is. Their range of plans starts from just £9.47 a month, which is an astonishingly low price for such a detailed service. Landlords also only have to sign up for rolling monthly contracts which means you can choose to end your coverage and save a few quid if your property is untenanted.
Despite the low prices, 24/7 Home Rescue still offer an impressive high-quality service. All their landlord plans come with an inclusive annual gas safety check and boiler services as well as covering the costs of all parts and labour for any callout. They have a large network of qualified engineers available all over the UK and a 95% first-time repair rate.
Their consistently high customer reviews show how popular their service has proved and this is down to a lot more than just the low prices. 24/7 Home Rescue delivers a great all-round service too.
BEST VALUE FOR MONEY: Rolling monthly contracts and low prices make 24/7 Home Rescue a truly cost-effective landlord home care plan provider.
3. British Gas Landlord Home and Boiler Cover
British Gas is the biggest name provider on this list and best known as one of the UK’s big six utility providers. Landlords are often attracted to the surety that comes with a big name cover provider but while the British Gas plans have a lot going for them, they are the most expensive on this list and customer reviews are decidedly more mixed.
British Gas offer landlords a range of four different plans and each comes with a 14-day cooling-off period which gives landlords the option to change their minds in the first fortnight of their coverage if they wish.
British Gas plans all come with your annual boiler service, a gas safety check and certificate, and cover for all parts and labour included. Subscribers also benefit from access to British Gas’ network of trained engineers that only support British Gas customers. This is a big attraction for some but be aware that if you use their service regularly, there is a chance that your premiums could rise the following year.
BIGGEST REPUTATION: You know what you are going to get with British Gas and for a little more you can have the confidence of using a tried-and-tested provider.
The evolution of boiler cover plans in the UK has been quite a sight to behold. They have gone from being an expensive luxury with a reputation for not being worth the money, to almost an essential part of your insurance arsenal.
As we have explained in this article, boiler cover plans are a lot more than a regular insurance policy or a warranty. They are, in effect, a fourth emergency service for both homeowners and landlords. In this guide, we have explained why and highlighted just a few of the major advantages offered by a boiler care plan.
Choosing the right boiler care plan can be tricky, so we have outlined some of the main points you need to consider. To help you make the right choice, we have also revealed the results of our exclusive research project which has revealed the top three boiler care plans for both homeowners and landlords.
Have you ever taken on a boiler care plan with one of our recommended providers? Do you have any feedback or information that might help our readers that we have overlooked in this guide? Would you recommend your chosen provider for them? Do you have any tips on how readers can be sure they are choosing the best boiler care plan provider for them?
It is always helpful to hear about your real-life experiences, so please do share them with us using the comment box below.