Viessmann Vitodens 111-W Storage Combi Sizes, Features, Prices, and Alternatives (2023 Review)
The Viessmann Vitodens 111-W is a storage combi boiler packed with cutting-edge heating technology that improves both energy efficiency and water flow rates. Viessmann’s Vitodens 111-W combines the best features of a combi boiler and a system boiler, heating water directly from the cold mains like a combi while maintaining a taken of hot water like a system boiler. Moreover, Viessmann includes a range of smart features including remote operation and weather compensation to deliver an efficiency rating of 94%. Thus, the 111-W is an ideal choice for homeowners of larger properties who value a steady supply of hot water and low long-term operation costs.
The 111-W comes in two output sizes, 25kW and 32kW. The 25kW model is rated to sustain 12-15 radiators, while the 32kW has a more robust rating for 15 radiators. Both output sizes are well-suited to family homes with multiple bathrooms, although the 32kW has a definite edge for larger residences.
The Vitodens 111-W features an Inox-Radial heat exchanger and MatriX Plus burner, which monitor fuel and flame quality to deliver the most efficient energy use possible. Both components are made of stainless steel, which adds great durability to the Vitodens 111-W’s most essential components. Viessmann includes a 10-year warranty for the heat exchanger and a 7-year standard warranty for the boiler itself.
In addition to its superior component quality, the Viessmann Vitodens 111-W boasts superior energy efficiency due to three smart features. First, the 111-W continually monitors the weather using an external thermostat. This weather compensation feature allows your boiler to anticipate your heating needs, and adjust its output accordingly in real time. Second, Viessmann include the ability to remotely control the 111-W from the ViCare app. This mobile app saves on your power bill by enabling you to sync your boiler output with your daily schedule, reducing output when you’re not at home to make use of it. Finally, the Vitodens 111-W is one of the few hydrogen-ready boilers on the market, making your household ready for the transition to clean energy.
What are the main benefits of the Vitodens 111-W?
The five main benefits of the Vitodens 111-1 are as follows.
- Increased hot tap water flow: The Vitodens 111-W is a combi storage boiler, meaning it has both a reserve hot water tank and a combi boiler’s cold mains heating capabilities. The result is an impressive flow rate of 20.1 – 21.1 l/min.
- Energy-efficiency: The Vitodens 111-W puts the latest technology to work to deliver a space heating energy efficiency of 94%.
- Wifi-enabled controls: Control your boiler from your smartphone with the ViCare app. The Vitodens 111-W is a wifi-enabled boiler, which leaves the door open for interesting new smart-home innovations.
- High-quality, stainless-steel parts: The Vitodens 111-W has a well-designed heat exchanger and burner made from stainless steel to ensure long-term durability.
- Hydrogen-ready: The Vitodens 111-W is one of the few hydrogen-ready boilers on the market, with the capacity to run on a 20% hydrogen mix.
What sizes does the Viessmann Vitodens 111-W come in?
The Vitodens 111-W comes in 25kW and 32kW sizes. We’ve listed the specifications for both sizes of the Vitodens 111-W in the table below.
|Viessmann Vitodens 111-W/100-W||Viessmann Vitodens 111-W 25 kW||Viessmann Vitodens 111-W 32 kW|
|Boiler Type||Storage Combi||Storage Combi|
|Hot Water Flow Rate (30℃)||20.1 l/min||21.2 l/min|
|Noise Level (dB)||49||49|
|Guarantee Length (Worcester-accredited Installer)||7/12 Years||7/12 Years|
|Suitability||A family apartment with 10-15 radiators, 1 bathroom, and 3-4 bedrooms||Large family home with 20+ radiators, 2 bathrooms, and 4+ bedrooms|
Note that the size suitability of the Viessmann 111 mentioned in the table above is approximate. The best way to size a boiler properly is to have a professional installation company gauge your heating and hot water demand based on your property parameters. You have the following two options for getting such a size assessment.
- Contact a local heating company: A local boiler fitter may come to survey your property and recommend a boiler size, along with quotes, based on their findings. You have to schedule an appointment to get such an estimate.
- Get an online assessment: You’re able to get a size recommendation on your screen almost immediately by filling in Heatable’s anonymous property questionnaire. Heatable are an online boiler installation company, and they provide free, fixed-price boiler quotes along with size recommendations.
Get your fixed online price for a Which? approved boiler, installation included.
How durable is the Viessmann 111?
The Viessmann 111 is highly durable. The two features that make the Viessmann 111-W so durable are listed below.
- Stainless steel heat exchanger: The Vitodens 111-W has a stainless steel heat exchanger built to last, backed up by a 10-year warranty.
- Stainless steel burner: The Vitodens 111-W has a hard-wearing stainless steel burner.
Stainless steel heat exchanger
The Vitodens 111-W has an Inox-Radial stainless steel heat exchanger. The heat exchanger sits between the burner and the incoming water supply, which it heats. Vitodens’ proprietary exchanger is made from stainless steel because the metal is highly durable and resistant to corrosion. The chromium in the steel reacts when it comes in contact with oxygen to create an external layer that serves as a barrier between the heat exchanger itself and any water that may cause rust. This resistance makes stainless steel superior to carbon steel or iron.
It’s essential to have a durable heat exchanger. Heat exchangers are expensive to replace and endure the greatest stresses inside your boiler, heating up and cooling down rapidly as you use hot water and change the heat settings. Viessmann are so confident in their stainless-steel heat exchanger that they guarantee its durability with a 10-year part-specific warranty. This 10-year warranty means that Viessmann will repair or replace the heat exchanger within 10 years of purchase if it breaks.
Stainless steel burner
The Vitodens 111-W features the MatriX Plus burner, which is made out of stainless steel like the heat exchanger. Stainless steel extends the burner’s life in two ways. First, stainless steel limits the risk of corrosion. Second, the stainless steel component is resilient against high temperatures that cause tremendous strain and damage to boiler components over time.
What are the most essential features of the Viessmann Vitodens 111-W?
The three most essential features of the Viessmann Vitodens 111-W are listed below.
- ViCare controls: Viessmann’s ViCare Controls give you the power to give precise instructions via your mobile device.
- Intuitive LCD touch screen: The Vitodens 111-W’s intuitive touch screen controls make it easy to adjust your boiler’s settings right on the boiler itself.
- 20% Hydrogen readiness: Viessmann is prepared for the future of fuel with a boiler capable of running on 20% hydrogen, the cutting edge affordable, and eco-friendly fuel alternatives.
- Weather compensation: The Vidodens 111-W weather compensation technology automatically adjusts your heating as the temperature changes outside, maximising your comfort.
Vitodens 111-W comes with ViCare controls and a smartphone app with the following three key functions.
- Smartphone control: ViCare controls allow you to adjust your heating and boiler settings from your smart device. The boiler is able to connect to your phone via the ViCare app via the ViCare thermostat. This technology gives you the ability to change your heating settings anywhere inside or outside your home.
- Geofencing: The application senses how far away from your boiler you are and adjusts heating levels in your house accordingly. The boiler’s heating output reduces as you leave your house, cutting down on unnecessary energy costs.
- Remote troubleshooting capability: Viessmann believe your gas engineer will soon be able to check up on your boiler and make adjustments remotely. The Vitodens 111-W is prepared for this possibility with wifi capabilities.
Intuitive LCD touch screen
The Vitodens 111-W’s intuitive LCD touch screen makes it easy for you to change your boiler’s settings without calling a gas engineer. A simple interface lets you make desired changes without consulting the user manual. The interface’s discreet black and white design both looks stylish and makes it easier to understand the controls.
20% hydrogen content
The Vitodens 111-W is able to run on a blend of fuels that contains 20% hydrogen, as are all Viessmann boiler models. Hydrogen capability is important as the UK government is considering proposals requiring all boilers to be “hydrogen-ready” starting in 2026.
The UK Government believes that hydrogen is the boiler fuel of the future and is advocating the future use of the fuel as part of a strategy to hit its zero-carbon targets. Hydrogen is a non-carbon fuel source, meaning it does not contribute to climate change when burned. Some experts also predict it will be much cheaper than fossil fuel alternatives as oil and gas often spike prices dramatically.
Hydrogen is also a lot more energy efficient than the currently-used fuel sources. 1 kg of hydrogen contains the same energy as 2.8 kg of gas.
All of these factors make buying a hydrogen-capable boiler a good idea. It could save you from having to replace your boiler if hydrogen becomes the mainstream fuel source for home boilers. Currently, only Viessmann and Worcester produce hydrogen-capable boilers, and the Vitodens 111-W is on this list.
A major feature of the Vitodens 111-W is its innovative weather compensation tools. Traditional boilers measure the internal temperature of your home and adjust heating as that temperature begins to fall or rise. This latent response means you’ll notice a chill before the heating comes on. The Vitodens 111-W preempts this problem by analysing the outside temperature and changing the heating output once it notices a shift.
The proactive heating approach afforded by the weather compensation benefits homeowners in two ways. First, it makes severe weather changes more comfortable because you won’t have to wait for the temperature to become noticeably uncomfortable before changing it manually. Second, it helps homeowners save money on energy bills by limiting unnecessary heating.
How efficient is Viessmann 111 W?
The Viessmann 111 W is highly energy-efficient, with a rating of A and a seasonal space heating efficiency percentage of 94%. This rating means that for every £1 you spend heating your home, 94 pence is spent on the heat itself, and 6 pence is lost. This rating adjusts as your energy needs change in different seasons. The four features that help the Viessmann 111-W achieve this efficiency level are listed below.
- MatriX Plus Burner: The Matrix Plus is an energy-efficient burner that helps you get the most out of your fuel bill.
- Lambda Pro Combustion Control System: The Viessmann 111-W features a Lambda Pro-Combustion Control System that moderates energy usage to deliver more energy efficiency.
- Modulation Range of 1:10: The Viessmann 111-W can reduce its output to 1/10 of its maximum. This modulation allows you to use less energy when you only need hot water.
MatriX Plus burner
The MatriX Plus is Viessmann’s proprietary burner that reduces fuel consumption by effectively controlling the fuel burned to meet the heating and hot water needs. The burner in a combi boiler converts fuel into heat by literally burning the fuel. The heat from the flame is then transferred via the heat exchanger into the cold water in the mains. The burner works as a cylinder populated by layers of tiny flames. The MatriX Plus precisely reduces its heat output by shutting down individual layers of flames.
Lambda Pro combustion control system
The Vitodens 111-W uses the Lamba Pro Combustion Control System to regulate the heat output. The Lambda Pro Combustion Control System controls heat output in two ways. First, it adjusts to different gas types and qualities to deliver the perfect heat with minimum wastage. Second, the Lambda Pro controls the gas and air supply independently, depending on the quality of the flame in the burner.
The Lambda Pro saves on your energy bill by ensuring you only use the fuel necessary to produce the heat you need.
Modulation range of 1:10
The Vitodens 111-W has a modulation range of 1:10, which means it’s able to reduce its output down to a tenth of its maximum output. The ability to scale down output when you only need a small amount of hot water reduces the total amount of energy wasted by your boiler.
How does Viessmann Vitodens 111-W help you save on energy bills?
The Viessmann Vitodens 111-W helps you save on energy bills by cutting down on the total amount of energy you’re using to heat your home and make hot water. Installing a more energy-efficient boiler saves you hundreds of pounds yearly on your heating and gas bills. Switching from an energy-inefficient G-rated boiler to an A-rated boiler like the Vitodens 111-W could save you £230 a year in a ground-floor flat, according to the Energy Saving Trust. The same switch in a semi-detached house could save you £540 a year or £840 for a detached house.
What kind of fuel does your boiler use?
Fixed price online with next day installation
What are the Viessmann Vitodens 111-W installation costs?
The Viessmann Vitodens 111-W installation costs range from £3,000 to £4,000. The installation cost includes both the price of the boiler and the cost of the installation. The five factors that influence the cost of boiler installation are as follows.
- Location: Geography is a significant factor in your boiler’s installation costs. London is the most expensive market, and you can often find cheaper deals if you live in less densely populated areas.
- Installer: Another significant factor in your installation cost is who you choose to do your installation.
- Scope of work: Boiler installations will get more expensive if you want to change the location or type of your boiler. Additionally, any changes to the location of the flue or radiators will also add to the final bill.
- Warranty: Some boilers come with warranties that require specific installation procedures. These procedures can drive up the cost of installation.
- Extras: You have the option of adding a few bonus pieces during your boiler installation, such as a new, third-party thermostat. These extras inevitably increase the cost of installation.
Getting an accurate quote on any boiler, including the Viessmann 111-W, is not possible without having a professional analyse your property parameters. However, you don’t have to call out a heating engineer and wait for an appointment to get your property surveyed. Heatable’s simple calculator tool uses your inputs (anonymous information about your property to recommend a range of suitable boilers and offer fixed-price quotes. Getting your quote from Heatable takes about 90 seconds, and you’re able to see the prices right on your screen.
How to find the best deal on a new Vitodens 111-W?
You can find the best deal on a new Vitodens 111-W by getting a quote from Heatable. Heatable intentionally keeps its overhead costs low to offer you quality service at the best possible price. They have great relationships with boiler providers across the UK, meaning they can find bargains for their customers.
Another significant benefit of installing your boiler with Heatable is that they offer a standard 10-year warranty on any installation.
How long is the Viessmann 111-W warranty?
The Viessmann 111-W warranty is 7 years long as standard, but you’re able to extend it to 10 or 12 years if you pay an additional fee. You must register your boiler within 30 days of its installation via Viessmann’s web portal to secure the warranty. The warranty does not cover accidental damage or damage due to poor installation.
The stainless steel heat exchanger has an individual warranty of 10 years, so you can get that specific part repaired if it breaks within 10 years of installation. As an alternative, consider installing your boiler with Heatable, which offers a 10-year warranty on all the boilers they install.
What is the best alternative to the Viessmann Vitodens 111-W?
The best alternative to the Viessmann Vitodens 111-W is the Vaillant ecoTec Plus Store 938. The specifications for both models are outlined in the table below.
|Vitodens 111-W 32 kW||Vaillant ecoTec Plus Store 938|
|Energy Rating||A, 94% ErP SSHE||89.3% SEDBUK SAP Seasonal Efficiency|
|Boiler Outputs||32 kW||38kW|
|Boiler Type||Combi Storage||Combi Storage|
|Hot Water Flow Rate (l/min)||21.2 l/min||15.9 l/min|
|Warranty||7 years-12 years||10 years|
|Installation Cost||£3,000 – £4,000||£2,500 – £3,000|
|Suitability||2-4 bedrooms and up to 2 bathrooms||3-4 bedrooms and up to 2 bathrooms|
Is the Vitodens 111-W right for my home?
The following four factors determine whether Vitodens 111-W is right for your home.
- The boiler’s size: First, consider the size of your property against the output of the Vitodens 111-W 32kW. The 32kW is perfect for larger homes with 15 radiators and multiple bathrooms.
- The boiler’s flow rate: You must also consider if the Vitodens 111-W’s flow rate is high enough to deliver enough hot water to your property. The 111-W’s 21.2 l/min flow rate is impressive, so this boiler would best suit larger properties.
- Your budget: The Vitodens 111-W is a great value at £3,000 to £4,000, given its impressive features and the property size it can sustain.
- Your heating demands: The Vitodens 111-W has a flow rate closer to a system boiler. This stronger flow allows it to meet the demands of households where multiple people use the hot water at once but doesn’t have enough space for a system or regular boiler.
Heatable’s boiler calculator is a simple tool that lets you find suitable boilers for your home. The calculator takes into account your property type, size, number of radiators, bathrooms, and bedrooms, as well as the flue configuration to find and quote a range of boilers. Filling in your property details (all anonymous) into Heatable’s calculator gets you a range of suitable boilers with fixed-price quotes.
Is the Viessmann Vitodens 111-W worth it? (Review verdict)
The Viessmann Vitodens 111-W is worth it for its wide array of features and technological innovations that result in impressive energy efficiency ratings, hot water flow rates, and creature comforts. The Vitodens 111-W is not a cheap buy, but it provides great value for larger properties. The Vitodens 111-W handles higher water demands because it is a storage combi boiler and thus has a reserve of hot water available when needed.
There are four advantages to Vitodens 111-W. First, the combined storage tank and mains heating functionalities of the Vitodens 111-W combi storage boiler delivers a hot water flow rate that’s suitable for large properties. Second, it is made from durable, stainless steel parts that will not lose effectiveness as your boiler ages. Third, the Vitodens 111-W is one of the few hydrogen-ready boilers on the market, which could save you a lot of money as the fuel source becomes more mainstream. Finally, the Vitodens 111-W uses bleeding-edge technology to deliver an impressive 94% seasonal space heating efficiency rating.
There are two drawbacks to the 111-W. First, its standard 7-year warranty is less competitive than its similarly positioned competitors like Worcester. Worcester has a 12-year warranty on its Greenstar Lineup. You can extend the Vitodens 111-W’s warranty up to 12 years but must pay for the privilege. Second, the Vitodens 111-W does not have models suitable for small properties. The 25kW and 32kW models have impressive outputs and hot water flow rates that suit large properties. There is no 15kW alternative for small apartments.
Viessmann Vitodens 111-W FAQs
Below, we answer some of the most common questions regarding the Viessmann Vitodens 111-W.
What is the difference between Viessmann Vitodens 111-W and 100-W?
There are three differences between the Viessmann Vitodens 111-W and 100-W. The first is that the 111-W is a storage combi boiler while the 100-W is a standard combi boiler. The difference between the two boiler types is that the storage combi boiler maintains a storage tank of hot water, whereas a typical combi boiler does not. Second, the Vitodens 100-W is considerably smaller than the 111-W, measuring 360mm x 400mm x 700mm against the 111-W’s 500mm x 600 mm x 950 mm. Finally, the Vitodens 100-W comes in a wider range of outputs than the 111-W. The 111-W is only available at the 25kW, and 32kW output levels, whereas the 100-W has 10kW, 20kW, 25kW, and 32 kW models.
What is the difference between Viessmann Vitodens 111-W and 222-W?
There are two differences between the Vitodens 111-W and the 222-W. First, the 222-W is a standard combi boiler rather than a storage combi boiler like the 111-W. The difference is that the 111-W keeps a “storage” tank of hot water while the 222-W does not. Second, the 222-W is available in a broader range of outputs than the 111-W. The 222-W boasts 10kW, 20kW, 25kW, and 32kW models, while the 111-W only has 25kW and 32 kW models.
Is a storage combi boiler the same as a system boiler?
No, a storage combi boiler is not the same as a system boiler. There is a key difference between storage combis and system boilers, even though both boilers store a tank of hot water ready for use. The difference is that a storage combi boiler has an integral hot water storage tank. In contrast, a system boiler heats water that’s stored in an external tank.
Can you have a storage tank with a combi boiler?
Yes, you can have a storage tank with a combi boiler if you buy a storage combi boiler. A storage combi boiler combines the best combi boiler and a system boiler. A storage combi boiler can heat water directly from the mains but also maintains a storage tank of hot water ready to use. This dual-capacity means a storage combi boiler provides higher volumes of hot water than a standard combi.
How long do Viessmann combi boilers last?
Viessmann combi boilers last approximately 10 years, although the lifespan depends on how well you maintain and care for your boiler. The quality of the initial installation and annual boiler service ensure your boiler operates well for as long as possible.