British Gas Landlord Boiler and Heating Cover (2023 REVIEW)
British Gas landlord boiler cover affords some of the most extensive home coverage options for owners of rental properties. British Gas landlord boiler cover is offered by the best-known gas engineering company in the UK. British Gas have retained their reputation as Britain’s premier heating, plumbing, and gas company for decades, and continue to be the industry leader in home care solutions.
The following are the four landlord cover plans available from British Gas.
- Basic: Cover the boiler and its controls.
- Essential: Protects the boilers, its controls, as well as the heating pipework and radiators.
- Classic: Covers the boiler, its controls, the heating system, plumbing, and drains.
- Complete: Includes the boiler, its controls, the heating system, plumbing, drains, and home electrics.
The four aforementioned landlord care plans cost between £20 and £47 per month, depending on the extent of coverage, the callout fee, and your geographic location. These premiums are higher than the industry standard in the UK, but the level of coverage you get from British Gas is commensurate with the top-tier pricing.
British Gas landlord policies exclude items that range from unsanctioned repairs to faults caused by limescale. The vast majority of boiler cover service providers in the UK exclude these items, too.
British Gas is a suitable solution if you’re a landlord who doesn’t mind paying extra for peace of mind. British Gas landlord cover policies are expensive, but ensure that your rental properties are as protected as they can be in the event of system failures. However, you should consider alternatives (such as WarmZilla and YourRepair) if you’re looking for less expensive landlord cover plans.
Below, our review of the British Gas landlord boiler cover highlights the product’s inclusions, exclusions, monthly premium options, suitability, and alternatives.
Who are British Gas?
British Gas are one of the UK’s so-called “big six” gas and electricity providers, who offer a range of home heating products, including boiler cover. British Gas offer boiler cover solutions that promise landlords peace of mind and assure tenants that all heating system issues have a swift resolution.
What are the British Gas boiler cover plans for landlords?
Below are the four British Gas boiler cover plans for landlords, all of which come with annual boiler service and the mandatory gas safety certificate.
- Basic: The Basic plan includes emergency repairs to your tenants’ boiler and its controls. The Basic plan costs roughly £20 per month with £60 excess and around £30 per month with £0 excess.
- Essential: The Essential landlord cover plan protects the boiler, its controls, and the entire heating system in the event of faults that require repairs. The Essential plan premiums cost £22 and £32, with £60 excess and £0 excess, respectively.
- Classic: The Classic landlord cover plan provides coverage for the boiler, its controls, the heating system, plumbing, and drains. The Classic plan costs roughly £25 per month with £60 excess and £40 with £0 excess.
- Complete: The Complete landlord cover plan from British Gas protects the boiler and controls, the heating system, plumbing, drains, and home electrics. The Complete plan is the most expensive of the four, costing £27 per month with £60 excess and £47 with £0 excess.
The four aforementioned plans from British Gas are some of the priciest landlord care plans on the market. However, these plans include two key items that most cheaper providers exclude from coverage. First, British Gas landlord care covers accidental damage, which most other boiler cover policies exclude. Accidental damage coverage is vital for landlords, since it protects them from faults caused by their tenants’ actions. Second, British Gas landlord cover includes up to £1,000 for access and making good after repairs, an item most other cover policies do not offer.
What are the optional addons for British Gas landlord cover plans?
Below are the optional addons for British Gas landlord cover plans.
- Kitchen appliance cover (£2.10 per month): This add-on protects kitchen appliances in the event that they require repairs.
- Gas appliance cover (£10.92 per month): The gas appliance cover protects other gas appliances in the home apart from the boiler, such as the hob.
- Gas safety check for appliances (£2.00 per month): This extra adds on a gas safety check for other gas appliances, such as the hob.
You’re able to add any of these extras to any of the landlord cover plans you choose if you want extended coverage for your rental properties.
What does British Gas landlord boiler cover exclude?
British Gas landlord boiler cover excludes the five items below.
- Sludge and limescale damage and removal: British Gas do not cover damage caused by limescale or sludge, as well as the removal of such debris.
- Unauthorised repairs: Faults stemming from unauthorised repairs are ineligible for repairs under British Gas landlord boiler cover policies.
- Showers: Showers, shower parts, shower parts, sanitary ware, and sealant are excluded from coverage.
- Shared drains: Any drains you share with another owner are not covered, even if they run through your property.
- Electrical and kitchen appliances: Electrical and kitchen appliances are not covered unless you opt for one of the add-ons British Gas offer with their boiler cover plans.
Why choose British Gas landlord boiler cover?
Below are the two reasons to choose British Gas landlord boiler cover. Firstly, British Gas include coverage for accidental damage, which the vast majority of boiler care providers exclude. Accidental damage is always a possibility in rental properties, as landlords aren’t able to control their tenants’ actions. Choosing British Gas landlord boiler cover lets you rest easy knowing that faults caused by your tenants are eligible for emergency repairs. Secondly, British Gas allow you to customise your cover product by offering several addons, such as gas and kitchen appliance cover. These addons help you extend the already comprehensive cover packages even further, ensuring complete peace of mind for your and your tenants.
However, you should consider alternatives to British Gas if you’re on a budget and do not require extensive coverage.
What are the best alternatives to British Gas landlord cover?
The best alternatives to British Gas landlord cover are as follows.
- WarmZilla: WarmZilla landlord boiler cover comes with some of the least expensive £0 excess premiums, so it’s a suitable British Gas alternative if you’re on a budget.
- YourRepair: YourRepair are inexpensive and offer high-quality, comprehensive landlord cover packages that are similar to those marketed by British Gas. YourRepair are an appropriate alternative to British Gas if you’re after extensive coverage without the high price tag.